Sunday, September 28, 2008

Digging

Before Bebe came into our lives, I researched "Digging". Both my husband and I love to garden, and I needed to be educated about what breeds have stronger digging urges. I didn't see the Coton de Tulear on the list, so I really didn't think I'd have to worry. Wrong. When she was 5-6 months old, out of the blue, she started to dig !
The fact is, all dogs dig. They are born with the urge, and it satisfies their very basic needs.
They usually dig for 3 basic reasons.
1. To hunt,
2. To provide shelter
3. To defuse stress or boredom

Discovering which one of these motivates your dog will help solve your problem.

I decided that my problem was that she was bored. I began watching her when I let her out to go potty, and when I saw that she was getting ready to dig, I quickly intervened. I began playing a quick game of 'fetch' with her, and she would be distracted, chase the ball and completely forget that she was about to dig. For me, it took a few weeks of really paying attention to her when I let her out in the yard, and I've never had a problem since. Whew !! I love a gorgeous lawn !

For more information on digging, click here Click here: Digging